SVRA Greens Committee Meeting Minutes Oct 14, 2010
Meeting was called to order at 2:00pm by Director Braun.
Attendees: Kirk Sessions General Manager, Gary Braun Director, Bob Lujan Co-Chair, Kurt Richmond Co-Chair, Korry Wheeler, Robie Robinson
1. Review Prior Minutes: Approved minutes as recorded.
2. Old Business:
- a. Soil Samples: Kurt Richmond reports that the town has completed digging for the season and that they would be unable to get any consistent samples at this point. This action will be delayed until next spring when the town continues its digging projects. He also reports that he has talked to Derk Izatt about doing some excavation work on the ponds along with providing bentonite. Action Item (Winter) Kurt and Kirk: Meet with Derk Izatt and discuss options for work on the ponds on holes #13 and #16.
- b. Contact Shooting Star: Kurt Reports that he has contacted Shooting Star. They do not have any extra pond liner.
- c. Water Distribution System Meeting: Kurt reports that the creek that runs along 16 and 13 is just overflow from the irrigation system and we would be able to use that to fill our ponds on those holes. This water is currently running out into a field and then going underground. There was also discussions with everyone present at this meeting up Green Canyon about how we can better capture some of the overflow water and put it back into the irrigation system.
- d. Tee Box Signs: Korry Wheeler reports that he has still been unable to locate the company that we have previously worked with. However, in researching the cost of replacing stickers he believes there may be other and better possibilities. This would include creating our own drawings and having the printing done through another company. As we are already doing the drawings ourselves, it might be possible to also use them for a yardage book. Action Item Korry: Investigate possibilities more. Robie Robinson also stated that in order to help with the yardage book and tee signs, he had a map which showed the yardage of each sprinkler head to the middle of the green. Action Item Robie Robinson: Give yardage map to Kurt Richmond.
3. Greens Report:
- a. Equipment Lease: All of the equipment bids are in. SVRA is going to purchase the equipment with capital funds and then lease it to the Greens Department. The Greens Department will then pay back the lease at 6.8% interest. This money will go to reimburse the capital funds.
- b. Winterizing: The Golf Course is currently being winterized.
- The Irrigiation System will be drained Friday, Oct 15.
- A compressor will be here Monday so that Kurt and his crew can blow out the water from the irrigation system.
- Tee signs will be taken down next week.
- Kurt will continue with his fungicide program on the tees and greens.
- As the time for snow comes closer Kurt will plan to rope off greens and ponds to help keep down damage from Snow Machines.
- Aspen Hills Golf Course has been fertilized and is still awaiting two more applications of fungicide.
- c. Condition of the Greens: Kurt stated that the PCMB product which he has previously used as a fungicide to prevent winter damage has been discontinued and is no longer manufactured. Because of this he has had to switch fungicide programs. He hopes that the new program will be just as effective as the PCMB program and that our greens will be just as nice next year as they were this year.
- d. Cedar Creek Park: Cedar Creek park has been aerified, seeded and top dressed with ¼ inch of sand to cover the seeds. It has also been fertilized. The last of the broken valves has been repaired. The area around the pool was also top dressed to help level the grass with the concrete pad. The sand in the horse shoe pits has been dug out and replaced and the horse shoes will be wire brushed and painted over the winter.
- e. Cedar Creek #13 Bathroom: The bathroom area on #13 is finished.
- f. Aspen Hills #8 Tee Box: The tee box on #8 of Aspen Hills will be sanded and prepped so that it will be ready to have sod put down next spring. It will be open for use for Memorial Day weekend.
4. New Business
- Cart Paths: There was discussion about what priorities we have in place next year for cart paths. It was stated that the Greens committee had previously put in place a priority list of cart paths. Gayland Archibald should have this list. Action Item Gary Braun: Contact Gayland Archibald to get a copy of the Cart Path Priority List. Action Item Greens Committee (Next Spring) Think about cart path priorities for next year and in the future.
- New trees on the course: The trees in the current “tree farm” at Aspen Hills will be moved to their new homes throughout the golf courses from Nov 1 through the 15. This will be done with help from the town.
- #16 Tee Box: The tee box on hole #16 is in need of serious repair. Kurt stated that he has plans on rebuilding the tee box, but wants to do it at the same time the new cart path is being built. This might make it necessary to have a new cart path on hole #16 be a top priority in 2011.
- Vole extermination: Kirk Sessions and Blair Toland went out with a rodent exterminator to look at the possibility of having him take care of the voles that have been damaging the course. He would pump gas into the tunnels and then light it. This would cause a small explosion underground. Kirk stated that a couple days later, the voles were back. It has been decided that along with many concerns about this type of extermination, other possibilities will be looked into.
5. Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 3:45 pm.